Sunday, March 26, 2006

Why I smell like a satsuma

Also, before last night's listening fest (see below), I had an outstanding early sushi dinner at Zushi Puzzle. It seems there must have been a translation or transcription error, or something, as the Kirin beer my waiter delivered to me was hobo-sized. Now I hate waste (though maybe the kids who sit next to me at work might take issue with that assertion, given the quantity of empty plastic Crystal Geyser bottles I toss in our recycling bucket on a daily basis), so I of course drank all that was presented to me.

However, this meant that I was a bit tipsy when walking home. I happened to pass by The Body Shop, and for some reason I noticed the window display which featured an impressive number of Satsuma-infused products. I tittered when I saw this, and those of you in the know understand why. The satsuma mandarin orange is my most favorite fruit in the whole world (my family grows them commercially just outside of the 'No), and ever since I was a kid I eagerly eagerly eagerly anticipated the very short satsuma season so we could go out to the ranch and pick them off the trees ourselves. And it was news to me that the satsuma moniker (technically, it's not a fruit name -- it names a specific variety of mandarin orange) has gained such marketing equity that it would be used in such a way. (Same deal with Meyer lemon and blood orange, which Williams-Sonoma uses in their dish soap and hand lotion). I admit that a part of me doesn't like this one bit. Satsumas are my little secret. What's next, Minneola tangelo toliet flushers, or Siamese Sweet pummelo after shave?

Anyhow, my excitement got the best of me, and as I was standing in front of the display at the front of the store, the aggresive saleslady came up to me. I proceeded to tell her my entire satsuma story and told her how incredibly excited I was that The Body Shop had satsuma-essence products. She saw what an incredibly easy mark I was in my semi-sloshed condition, and before I knew it I walked out with a $16 thing of extra-extra-strength satsuma bath oil (I do love to take baths, and just like Alan, get lots of reading done in the tub).

Well, apparentally I'm not quite expert at this bath oil operation yet, because I just got out of the tub after putting in a bit too much oil, my entire body is oiler than I'd like, and now I smell like a satsuma.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just bought the set from body shop! bath gel, lotion and body polish! Satsuma is a great smell! id love to know where to purchase the fruit in ontario. Thanks

Anonymous said...

To me, it just smells like a mandarin orange. I have the born lippy lip balm in satsuma. I only bought it because I could smell the scent even through the plastic packaging. HortNet had detailed info on satsuma crop... It's grown in Japan and Australia. You can probably find it in some Asian supermarket... Are satsumas a little bit smaller than other mandarins?

Anonymous said...

My son ran howling from the room when I opened satsumas for them all for breakfast this morning, so I think that's one I'll be avoiding.
Best wishes
http://whitterer-autism.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

My son ran screaming from the room when I opened Satsumas for them all for breakfast this morning, so I think I'll pass on that one.
Best wishes
http://whitterer-autism.blogspot.com