LADY: just finished placing order / turns around and walks to the side and makes way for husband, who starts ordering / makes a quick turn of the head / bounce-back-beautiful hair goes into action / Snore now visible / faint inkling of familiarity evident on face / but eye contact not yet made.
AWKWARDRAY: <zoooom bingg peow> lands on balding head of Snore.
SNORE: "i'm just standing here, hungry for some pizza, got my flip flops on, my old comfy law school sweatshirt and adidas windpants, can't wait for some pizza, gosh these glasses are dirty let me wipe them off with my t-shirt, i sure would love sausage..." / glasses back on / isn't that Lady, hey you know what it is /
AWKWARDRAY: <peeeeeeowwww blingbling sizizizizzzzzz zz zzz> bounces back on to Lady, just below the eye
LADY: oh isn't that a guy i went to law school with / i thought i heard he's working for the state dept in africa...or was that... / oh no he's looking at me / damn
AWKWARDRAY: <sheeeeooooooowwwwww ding ding> reflected back, some photons hitting me
...well this went on for a while. In their 2 minute conversation (little did they know) I was a part of, I developed the following backstory for them:
- Snore probably considered Lady to be a "friend" in law school, but she just thought of him as the 'nice guy' in the library who would always try to turn a homework-help question into a 10 minute conversation
- Lady's beau was probably her husband / serious boyfriend, who she met 6 months into her first job out of law school
- They were about 5 years out of school
- They went to a top tier law school back east
- Snore remembered lots of things about Lady and the good ole' days
- Lady forgot Snore's name (had she been tested on it at the time, we would have learned that she actually forgot his name 9 months after graduation).
- Snore knew that Lady forgot his name, and was in fact gracious enough to save Lady from embarassment and intercepted the introduction she would have had to make when her husband came 'round.